Since Kim Kardashian ventured onto our world with her fantastically highlighted face. It did not take long for strobing and highlighting to soar to fame. Now everyone is scrambling for the best highlighting products. Who doesn’t want a killer highlight daily that kills with it’s shine. But how do you achieve that? Keep reading for the ultimate guide to highlighter application…
What you Need:
- Concealer (a shade lighter than your skin tone)
- A Beauty Blender
- An Eye makeup brush
- A Liquid Highlighter
- A Powder Highlighter
Choice of Highlighter Formula Based on Your Skin Type:
- Dry to Normal Skin = Liquid Highlighter
- Dry, Normal, Combination skin = Cream Highlighter
- All Skin Types = Powder Highlighter
- Oily Skin = Stick Highlighter
Choice of Highlighter Formula Based on Your Skin Tone:
- Fair skin tones: Champagne tone
- Light-Medium Skin Tones: Pink – Champagne tones
- Olive skin tones: Golden tones
- Dark skin tones: Terracotta tones
Highlighter Application Technique:
Step 1: Map out your face & Apply Concealer to the Areas you want to highlight
- After applying a flawless base, blush on your cheeks and a contouring your face its time to map out your face with a highlighter.
- Apply the concealer in a dot form to ensure it (so doesn’t cake up) on the areas you want to highlight.
- Refer to the face chart above to figure out where you should apply the highlight for the result you are looking for.
Step 2: Blending
- Take a beauty blender or any regular sponge, wet with water and then squeeze any excess water.
- Using the wider part of your beauty blender, blend out the concealer dots on your face.
- Using the pointy part of the beauty blender, blend out small features such as around the lashline, node and mouth.
- Make sure to always blend from the center to the perimeter of the face.
Step 3: Make your best features pop by Applying the Highlight
- Using a stippling brush or an eyeshadow brush, apply a liquid highlighter on the bridge of your nose, on your cheekbones, the inner corner of your eyes, your brow bone, the top of your cupid bows, and the center of your forehead and chin.
Where to Apply Highlighter for What Impact:
- Under the brow bone – gives an illusion of having larger eyes
- Apple of the cheek – for that glowing skin effect
- Bridge of the nose – to make your nose to look slimmer
- Inner corners of the eyes – to brighten up your eyes
- Diagonal along the cheekbone – to add definition to your cheekbones
- Cupid’s Bow – to enhance the curve of your cupids bow
- Center of your eyelid – to make eyes look bigger
Step 4: Boost the effect
Layer the cream highlighter with a powdered highlighter to get that killer highlight we’ve been talking to you about, so you sparkle like an Insta Star.
We loved this video by Maya Mia, you can follow her on her You Tube channel here. She perfectly demos everything we’ve been telling you about:
Beauty Hooked Approved Highlighters:
If you want to know the best highlighters available in the market, that we would recommend, and that are Beauty Hooked Approved Click Here.
Comment below and let us know if there is any other technique you would like us to guide you on?