Snow White, one of Disney’s most famous princesses was known for her complexion ”as white as snow” and today’s society is nothing less. The merit of being beautiful now is solely based on a girl’s complexion, whether she is light-colored or bright & white instead of the inner beauty. Thanks to these magazines covers for plastering photoshopped images of women that magnify their outer beauty, and skin whitening creams ads that project skin color as real and true beauty. So it’s kind of label that you’re going to find the perfect rishta only if your WHITE. And now we all want to become lighter in shade instead of a dark or wheatish complexion. However, since we love you so our Beauty Experts will recommend the best skin whitening creams to get the look that we all desire.
WHAT ARE SKIN WHITENING PRODUCTS?
Skin whitening creams work by reducing melanin, a skin pigment. They are not only used to lighten the skin color, but help in removing facial marks and spots such as freckles, pigmentation, age spots, acne marks or any discoloration of skin due to medicines or hormones or any disease.
WHAT DETERMINES SKIN COLOUR?
Skin color is actually the percentage of melanin in the skin which is produced by cells known as melanocytes. So, darker the skin, more melanin is present and vice versa.
The amount of melanin in skin depends on genetic makeup, hormonal imbalance, sun exposure, and exposure to certain chemicals. Often, the skin color lightens just by balancing the factors that contribute the production of melanin.
TOXIC WHITENING INGREDIENTS…
Mercury and Steroids have excellent skin lightening property with instant results but are very toxic in nature. They can cause serious neurological and kidney diseases. They can pass to the unborn child to if mom to be used such creams. Mercury has been banned by FDA to be used in skin care products.
SKIN FRIENDLY WHITENING AGENTS
- Tretinoin – also known as retinoid acid treat skin discoloration, sun exposure should be avoided while using tretinoin as it makes skin more susceptible to UV
- Hydroquinone – have antioxidant ability, inhibit melanin production, prevent hormone-induced melasma
- Arbutin – present in all berries, pears, have melanin inhibiting property
- Kojic Acid – inhibit melanin, antioxidant properties but it turns brown on sun and air exposure thereby reducing its efficacy
- Azelaic Acid – present in grains like wheat, barley, rye. It is used to treat acne induced pigmentationVitamin C – a powerful antioxidant used to lighten the skin
- Glutathione – a powerful skin lightening agent with exceptional power of sun protection
HOW DO SKIN WHITENING AGENTS WORK
Skin whitening agents have an active ingredient as listed above or present in the combination of ingredients to reduce the percentage of melanin in the skin where it is applied.
RISKS OF USING SKIN LIGHTENERS
- premature aging due to prolonged use
- Increased risk of skin cancer due to long-term usage from sun exposure. sunscreen is must have when using skin lighteners
- Skin lighteners with steroids increase the risk for infections in the skin, thinning of the skin, acne, and poor healing of wounds
- skin discoloration due to use for long terms known as ochronosis
- skin irritation or allergic reaction
PRECAUTIONS USING SKIN LIGHTENERS
The medicated skin lightening agents should be used according to dermatologist prescription because the percentage of these agents varies from skin types to skin concerns.
For over the counter products, always have look on ingredients whether they don’t have any toxic ingredient. The cure is not completed without precaution and preventive measures though. Skin lighteners make skin more sensitive to sun damage so sunscreen is must have.
BEAUTY HOOKED APPROVE SKIN WHITENING CREAMS
WHITENING FACE WASH
Clean & Clear Skin Brightening Facial Cleanser Rs. 695
Himalaya Clear complete Whitening Face Wash Rs. 295
Garnier White Complete Double Action Face Wash Rs. 445
Ponds Flawless White Deep Whitening Facial Foam Rs. 365
Vince Xtra Fair Face wash Rs. 345
Hollywood Style Whitening Cleansing Milk Rs. 295
Ponds White Beauty Cleansing Milk Rs. 195
Vince Cleansing Milk Rs. 265
Palmers Anti Dark Spot Complexion Toner Rs. 795
Skin Whitening Petal Fresh Whitening Facial Scrub Rs. 285
Himalaya Herbals Whitening Daily Scrub Rs. 445
Eveline White Prestige Whitening Facial Scrub Rs. 495
WHITENING FACE MASK
Freeman Facial Brightening Mask Golden Grain (hydration + brightening) Rs. 295
L’Oreal White Perfect Cream Rs. 1650
Olay White Radiance Moisturizer Rs. 1195
Garnier Light Complete Moisturizer Rs. 745
Himalaya Whitening Cream Rs. 445
Nivea Extra Light Cream Rs. 845
Vince Extra Lightening Serum Rs. 995
L’Oreal Luminize Code Illuminating Serum Rs. 1495
Nordika Whitening Beauty serum Rs. 1440
The Body Shop vitamin C Serum Rs. 2395
*Disclaimer: All articles published in Beauty Hooked are based on heavy and thorough research by our beauty consultants, makeup artist, and experts. All products recommended have been tried and tested by us personally and only then recommended to you. All these products at the prices presented are as available at Al-Fatah Stores nationwide on the date the article was published, and have been approved by us for quality purchase at Al Fatah stores. Prices presented in the article may vary across Pakistan depending on retailers margin.
Want our experts to help you with any other product or beauty information under the sun? Ask us in the comments below!