Our skin produces excess oil called sebum which often mixes with dead skin in the tiny pores that are already in our skin. When these pores aren’t treated, they clog and cause it to enlarge, thus leading to black heads. Therefore it is essential to keep your skin clean and hydrated in order to avoid enlarged pores. So, if you haven’t been able to figure it out yet, our Beauty Experts guide on enlarged pores will help you in taking the appropriate steps towards treating them.
WHAT CAUSES ENLARGED PORES
The main factors that contribute to enlarged pores are:
- Oily Skin – People with oily skin are more prone to enlarged pores rather than people with dry skin.
- Genetics – Your skins structure is based on genetics, which means that, naturally oily is due to someone in your family who also shared the same genetic code as you do.
- Age – As you age, your skin looses elasticity over time causing the pores to dilate. Hence the skin thickens, bringing the tiny cells together around the edges of your pores making them appear larger.
- Sun Damage – Excessive sun exposure cause thickening of the skin, decrease in collagen and elastin, shrink the tissues under the skin leading the pores to dilate.
- Blackheads – When the pore gets clogged by germs, dirt, bacteria, the oil in the pore starts to accumulate, leading to the expansion of the pore’s diameter
- Gender – Male are more prone to dilated pores due to the thick texture of their skin as compared to females.
- Hormonal Changes – Change in hormonal levels during pregnancy and puberty may lead to enlarged pores as well.
THE TRUTH BEHIND PORE REDUCTION
Once the pores become dilated, they cannot disappear forever, however, they can be reduced over the time with protection, care, and a prevention routine that can help you maintain to what your skin once was. So, the treatments and procedures available to help you get rid of enlarged pores require maintenance too. So whether you are using homemade masks, following a Dermatologists prescription or undergoing laser treatments, you need to follow a routine in order for your skin to look clean and clear. All you need to do is, religiously follow the preventive measures.
MECHANISM OF ENLARGED PORES TO ACHIEVING A FLAWLESS SKIN
Enlarged pores do progress towards a flawless skin by following a process known as the Skin Renewal process. In this process, the outer layer of the skin sheds off and the new cells move up from the bottom layer of the skin (epidermis) on the top. This process occurs naturally and once in a month. However, the causes for enlarged pores mentioned above slows the renewal process. So, such treatments basically enhance this process and the new cells and layer of skin has, noticeable, less pores, which eventually start disappearing.
HOW TO PREVENT ENLARGED PORES
The size of a pore can shrink or or even be prevented by taking certain preventive measures and added care:
A cleanser has antioxidants such as Nordihydroguaiaretic acid or NDGA as the main ingredient that tends to maintain clear pores by preventing oxidation of oil, and reduces inflammation and excess sebum.
Exfoliation is the key to flawless skin. So, exfoliators with a low concentration about 0.5 to 1% salicylic acid, which is basically a beta hydroxy acid (BHA) and a moderate concentration ( 2.5 to 5% ) of lactic or glycolic acid, which are basically alpha hydroxy acids, stimulate cell turnover by shredding the old layer of skin for skin renewal process to take place, and as a result, keep the pores clean.
If you have enlarged pores, opt for a moisturizer which claims to be oil-free. And look for ingredients such as a Nordihydroguaiaretic Acid (NDGA), Niacinamide, vitamin C or Retinol. These ingredients have the capability of cell renewal and collagen production that results in the firming of tissues around the oversized pores. And over time, the pores start shrinking and appearing less noticeable.
The use of topical treatments with ingredients such as salicylic acid, retinoids, alpha hydroxy acid & benzoyl peroxides, vitamin C will help to reduce the size of the pores and also aids in diminishing of the bacteria that is actually the root cause of enlarged pores prone to acne. These ingredients are great to treat sun damage also. However, results are noticeable after 6 weeks of regular usage and have to be maintained lifelong.
TREATMENTS RECOMMENDED BY A DERMATOLOGIST
For instant effects, and a lasting flawless skin, dermatologist clinical treatments are best to go. These include the following treatments
Dermatologists use chemical peels to remove the outer layer of the skin through a clinical treatment, which results in new fresh, healthy and soft skin. Chemicals used are in high concentration under controlled dilution and time as per skin condition, and should be done once a month.
Fractional Non-Ablative Laser Skin Resurfacing
Laser usually boosts collagen production around the pores which results in minimized appearance of that pore. The treatment will result in flakes and redness of the skin, however that will fade away within a few hours. Moreover, the number of sessions for laser skin resurfacing depends on the severity of the pores.
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) treatments refine the textures of the skin by tightening the pores and give skin an overall glow. It also reduces red or brown spots on the skin resulting in no filter skin.
Photodynamic Therapy uses a solution activated by light to improve the texture of the skin by minimizing the size of oil glands. Thus reduce the production of oil which is a major cause of enlarged pores. Usually, 1 to 2 sessions aid in the reduction in the size of the pores, noticeably.
*Cost of Dermatologist treatments depends on the severity of the problem but on an average, these treatments cost around Rs.5000 per session.
ENLARGED PORES AND MAKEUP
The power of makeup cannot be underestimated. Yes, you can hide the appearance of enlarged pores with makeup by following these simple steps.
- Do CTM with oil-free products.
- Use a primer before application of foundation and let it dry before the application of foundation.
- Use a cream-to-powder foundation because they are more likely to conceal large pores than liquid foundation.
- Now dust the face with translucent loose powder that will make less visible and skin will appear more even
PRODUCT RECOMMENDATION – MAKEUP
- Cleanser – L’Oreal Paris Clay Purifying Gel
- Face Wash – Clearasil Rapid Action Daily Face Wash
- Toner – Nivea Mattifying Toner
- Exfoliant – Garnier Pure Active Anti Excess Oil
- Mask – Freeman Facial Clay Mask Mint & Lemon
- Serum (as per skin need e.g oil controlling, pores reducing, Vitamin C)
- Moisturizer – Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer
- Eye Cream – L’Oreal Revitalift Eye Cream
- Targeted solution (topicals with Benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid)
- Sunscreen – Spectraban by Stiefel
If you feel that despite making changes in your lifestyle and skin routine, aren’t impacting on your enlarged pores, we would recommend that you set an appointment with your Dermatologist so they can recommend an appropriate procedure. And ensure to inquire about a basic acne treatment as well to avoid any more problems other than enlarged pores.
*If you’re not sure about the type of your skin and products suitable for you, no need to worry when you are hooked to Beauty Hooked. Book an appointment with Beauty Hooked Beauty Experts for 1:1 consultation and enlist the product perfect for you according to your type of skin.0